Wednesday, November 5, 2014

My Grandma's Homemade Hot Chocolate


It's that time of year when we can start cozying up to the fire with a cup of hot cocoa again! This is my Grandma Hart's hot chocolate recipe that she's been making since I can remember and it is THE BEST! It's so much better than a packaged hot chocolate, I can't even tell you. You've just gotta try it for yourself!
All you need is cocoa powder, white sugar, evaporated milk, 1 or 2% milk, and little marshmallows.
In a medium size sauce pan put in 1/2 teaspoon cocoa (heaping) per every cup you want to make. In this particular batch I made 8 cups of hot chocolate so I used 8 x 1/2 tsps. which equals 4 tsps.
For every cup of hot cocoa you want to make add 2 teaspoons sugar. For this batch 8 x 2 = 16 tsps. sugar (I didn't say it was healthy did I?)
Mix the cocoa and sugar together
Add approximately 1/2 cup water to the mixture and put it on the stove over medium heat. Mix well until the cocoa and sugar dissolve.
Next, add one 12 oz. can of evaporated milk. This is the color it should be now.
Add your plain milk to that. I don't have an exact measurement for this I just look at the color of the hot chocolate. If you want it more chocolatey keep it darker, if you want it creamier add more milk. This is the color I look for. Let it heat up to your desired temperature.
Add some mini marshmallows and enjoy! My grandma always makes us cinnamon toast to go along with it so I recommend that.
I love carrying this tradition on with my kids! They love Grandma's hot chocolate as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear any comments or suggestions you have. If you have questions about my posts I will try to get back to you here in the comments section as soon as I can. Thanks!

-Brittney