Wednesday, July 22, 2015

"Waffle Truck" Waffles


Have you ever had waffles from a waffle truck that taste more like dessert than a waffle? Well, my aunt, Andi, and my cousin, Mindy, shared a recipe with me that tastes just like them! They make them for baby showers, wedding showers, and family get togethers and they're always a big hit. These waffles are to DIE for! You'll see why when you try them. Here's how to make them:

Belgian Waffles:

1 (1/4 oz.) package yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp.)
1/3 cup warm water
1 1/2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
3 eggs
1 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
1 cup Belgian pearl sugar*

Mix the yeast, water, sugar, and salt in a bowl and let it develop or sit for 15 minutes.

Place the flour in a separate large mixing bowl and make a well in the center of the flour.

Pour the yeast mixture into the well and mix until blended on medium speed.

Add the eggs (one at a time), melted butter a bit at a time, and the vanilla and cinnamon. Be sure to mix well after each addition to the batter. Keep in mind the batter will be thick and very sticky.

Remove the bowl from the mixer and let the dough rest until it doubles in volume inside the bowl.

Gently fold in the pearl sugar and let the dough rest for 15 more minutes.

While the dough is resting, heat the waffle iron (we recommend a Belgian waffle iron because it has deep pockets).

Spoon your batter onto the iron (I used about 1/3 - 1/2 cup). Waffles take 3-5 minutes to cook. Serve with caramel syrup, strawberries, and whip cream. Enjoy!

*Belgian pearl sugar can be found at Orson Gygi in Salt Lake City, online on Amazon.com or Walmart.com. You can make your own if you don't have any on hand. Here's the recipe I used from the Pancake Princess: Pearl sugar I used the stove top method. I still prefer the real stuff but this works too!

Caramel Syrup:

1/3 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup dark corn syrup
1 cup heavy cream

In a large heavy saucepan stir together ingredients and cook over moderately high heat, undisturbed, until it registers 220 degrees on a candy thermometer. Serve warm. Keeps covered and chilled for 1 week.

(I have also used a delicious vanilla/cinnamon syrup from Allrecipes.com that is super delicious too!)


 
When I made these for my kids my oldest son said, "Mom, you get the reward for best waffle maker ever!" Now if that's not the best compliment ever I don't know what is!
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear any comments or suggestions you have. If you have questions about my posts I will try to get back to you here in the comments section as soon as I can. Thanks!

-Brittney