Thursday, December 18, 2014

Seven Course Christmas Meal


A few years ago we started a fun tradition that my husband's family did while they were growing up--a seven course Christmas dinner. We didn't actually have it on Christmas day, it was a week before. It's a meal that lasts about 2 hours at the dinner table, taking your time to eat each course. My mother-in-law and father-in-law were nice enough to come to our house and put on the dinner for us to teach us how to make it happen. It was SO much fun and such a memorable dinner that I wanted to share it with all of you!
My husband, Jake, and his mom and dad are preparing the meal in this picture. It takes a lot of preparation but it's worth it!
I didn't have any pretty silverware or decorations of my own so luckily my mother-in-law was nice enough to bring all of her stuff and decorate our table. This is what our place settings looked like.
And here is the beautiful table!
To add to the ambiance we had our meal by candlelight. We also put on some gorgeous Christmas music. It was lovely!
The guests that you have over stay seated the whole time and you serve them each course and take away their plates when they're finished. Each course lasts from 10-20 minutes. However long you want. I liked taking our time.
Here's an example of what to serve for the seven courses: (I wanted to take a picture of every course but I was too busy enjoying the meal.)
1-We started off with some apples, crackers, and cheese.
2-Then we had a shrimp cocktail.
3-Next we had the most delicious homemade French Onion soup ever (made by my mother-in-law)!
4-Time for the salad (pictured above) and a roll.
5-Then it was time for our cranberry/tangerine sherbet to cleanse our palette. So fun!
6- And as if we hadn't had enough food already, next came the main course--Chicken Cordon Bleu, twice baked potatoes, and asparagus (pictured below). And finally,
7-Dessert- We had THE most delicious raspberry cheesecake I have ever had made by my wonderful husband, Jake.

Here's my son enjoying his cheesecake. The rule for our dinner was no kids but he woke up from his nap and joined us for dessert. (He was so little! He's a few years older now.)

This 7 course meal would be great for any occasion, just use appropriate table décor for the season or Holiday. Try it sometime with your family or friends. I promise it will be a memorable dinner, one that you won't ever forget! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear any comments or suggestions you have. If you have questions about my posts I will try to get back to you here in the comments section as soon as I can. Thanks!

-Brittney