Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Gingerbread Skeletons and Mummies


I LOVE that we can make gingerbread men for Halloween now! I usually only make them around Christmas time but I found these cute gingerbread skeletons and mummies on Pinterest and they gave me a great excuse to make them for Halloween.
I didn't decorate mine too special but they still turned out cute and taste delicious!
 
Here's my favorite Gingerbread Men recipe that I found on tasteofhome.com

Gingerbread Men -

1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup molasses
1 egg
2 tablespoons water
2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice
  • In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses, egg and water. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
  • On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion of dough to 1/8 in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4 in. cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Reroll scraps.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate as desired. Yield: about 2 dozen cookies.
Frosting Cement-

2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 cups powdered sugar
 
  • Beat eggs with cream of tartar until stiff. Gradually add 1 cup of sugar. Beat for 10 minutes. Add next cup and beat for 10 more minutes.
  • Place in piping bag and decorate your gingerbread men.

This recipe is simple and hard to screw up. Even my two year old daughter can make it! The cookies are SO yummy and the frosting is perfect because it sets up well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear any comments or suggestions you have. If you have questions about my posts I will try to get back to you here in the comments section as soon as I can. Thanks!

-Brittney