Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Family Room Remodel


It was so fun to see the family room in our house come together! I had been collecting furniture and decorations and had to wait to put it all together until the floors and walls were finished. Here are some before and after pictures of how it turned out: 
This room was closed off completely to the dining room and kitchen. We knew we wanted an open great room so thanks to my Uncle Blaine, who's a contractor, it happened. Those shelves had to go since the wall it was on was the one that we were knocking down.
 This is a picture looking from the dining room at the wall that was coming down. Jake is pointing to it.
 Look how much brighter and better it looks without that wall closing everything off! Blaine and his apprentice, Jake, made a beam and put it up so that the house wouldn't fall down.
 
 
The wall color I chose was a gray called Gentle Rain by Behr. And for the white on the bottom I used Pure White by Behr.
This is a painting of a picture that I fell in love with when we visited my parents in Brazil. My mom, Laurel Hart, surprised me and painted it for me to hang on my wall. She's amazing! You can check out more of her work here. The colors in this painting were the inspiration for the room.
I love this little sitting area in the front window! The only thing left for me to do here is get some decent wood blinds and get rid of these old metal ones. The chairs are from Down to Earth at Gardner Village, the table is from the Black Goose, and the lamp is from Pier 1 Imports. And I got the drapes from Home Goods. 
You can see behind the loveseat in this picture where the wall was taken down. It opens up to the dining room and kitchen. I got my couches from RC Willey, pillows were from the Quilt Shop and Down to Earth at Gardner Village, and the rug is from Down East. I found my coffee table and end tables on KSL.com in the classifieds section for like $120 and then I paid a lady named Jodi Brimhall (Cottage Charm Creations) in my neighborhood to paint them. She did an amazing job! I painted a computer desk recently and now that I know how easy it is I'll never pay someone else to do it again. The only thing I have left to do is get some nice lamps for the two end tables.
 
There were no lights in the ceiling in this room so my brother-in-law, Skyler, put in some can lights and wired for a light in the middle of the room so Jake could put in this fan. We got it at Home Depot.
This entertainment center is directly across from the big couch. We got it at the RC Willey Outlet and it was one of the first things we bought for the house. Miraculously it fit the wall perfectly without me even measuring. It was meant to be. I'm not finished decorating it how I'd like yet though. We'll get there...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear any comments or suggestions you have. If you have questions about my posts I will try to get back to you here in the comments section as soon as I can. Thanks!

-Brittney