Saturday, January 3, 2015

Crockpot Beef Stew


Is there anything better than throwing a few ingredients into your Crock Pot in the morning and coming home at night to a delicious meal?! I can't think of anything. This is a beef stew recipe my mom got from a sweet, elderly lady in her neighborhood named Ila. We've been making it for years and it's always delicious, warm, hearty, and comforting especially on a chilly winter night.
 
Crock Pot Beef Stew -
 
2 lbs. beef cubes for stew
3-4 large russet potatoes
2 cups chopped carrots
1 small onion (optional)
1 can tomato sauce
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 package dry onion soup mix
1 package frozen peas 
 
Start by getting out your favorite Crock Pot.
You will need: 2 lbs. beef stew meat,
frozen peas (you'll add these last about 30 min. before stew is ready),
baby carrots,
 1 small onion,
1 small can tomato sauce,
2 cans cream of chicken soup, 1 can cream of mushroom soup,
1 package dry onion soup mix,
and 3-4 large russet potatoes.
Peel your potatoes and chop them up into bite size chunks. (I peeled 5 large potatoes and had WAY too many so I just used 3.)
 

Chop up your carrots until you have about 2 cups.
(If you want to add 1/2 of the small onion chop it up and put it in the bowl with the other veggies. I left it out.)
In a separate mixing bowl stir your soups and tomato sauce together.

Place half of your veggies in the bottom of the Crock Pot and half of the meat on top of them. Season with Lawry's salt.
Spread half of the soup mixture on top of the meat and veggies.
Then just repeat the process one more time; veggies, meat, salt, sauce.
Sprinkle the package of dry onion soup on top of the last layer.

Set your Crock Pot to either 6 hours or 8 hours, depending on how much time you have before dinner.
Then just go about your day and forget about it!
 Stir the stew a few times throughout the day if you're home.
 About a half an hour before serving the stew, add the peas.
 Ah, that pop of green color just completes it! Once the stew has cooked for 6-8 hours it's ready to be served. I like to serve my stew in bread bowls with a salad on the side. I've been smelling mine cook all day and I'm ready to eat it up. Delicious! I hope you enjoy it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear any comments or suggestions you have. If you have questions about my posts I will try to get back to you here in the comments section as soon as I can. Thanks!

-Brittney